Direct Appeal 2018-19
November 26, 2018
Dear Oakton families and friends:
I thought a lot about Oakton last week over Thanksgiving—maybe you did, too. My family is so thankful for our beautiful school community. At a time when there are forces in the nation trying to divide us from one another, the fact that our children attend a school that is diverse, accepting and inclusive gives me hope for the future.
Our Oakton PTA reflects our vibrant school community. We work hard to provide extracurricular activities and community building events for everyone, as well as supportive services for Oakton families in need of help. In order to do all of this we rely on the time, energy and creativity of our members and volunteers—but also financial support from Oakton families and friends across Evanston.
I’m writing today to ask you to consider making a financial contribution, within your means, to help the Oakton PTA keep our community strong. Maybe it’s $5 – or maybe $50 – or maybe even $500. Please be as generous as you can. Your participation is what matters!
What will we do with your gift? With your help towards our $7,500 goal, we will:
- Keep bringing the Gardeneers in to teach our kids about growing fresh veggies and fruits, caring for the environment and healthy eating, in our own edible garden
- Provide transportation for fieldtrips so families who can’t afford it don’t have to pay
- Sponsor the annual back to school and end of the year picnics, the Halloween party and the “Taste of Oakton” event
- Support the eyeglass fund for low-income students, administered by our social workers
- Make sure our teachers know how much we love them by providing food and a massage therapist for Teacher Appreciation Week
- Make PTA meetings accessible to all by providing food, childcare, and translation
We’re good at making your dollars go far for Oakton’s kids! I hope you’ll make a contribution by December 31, by clicking on the “Donate Now” button to give via PayPal or by leaving your gift in the PTA mailbox in the front office.
Thank you for your consideration and for being a part of this very special community.
PTA President 2018-2019
PS. Did you know you can make easy monthly contributions when you give online? Just select “Make this a monthly donation” when you log in to PayPal! Just $10 each month comes out to $120 for the year!
Other Ways to Help Oakton
This is one easy way to raise money for Story Store.
Look for and clip box tops from products with the Box Tops for Education logo. Turn them in to your child’s teacher or drop them in the collection box in the office. We earn $0.10 for every box top. If you shop online, you can sign up at www.boxtops4education.com. Click on “Marketplace” to see which retailers will donate a percentage of sales to Oakton.
Clothes 4 Charity Drop Box
Just by donating your old clothes into the blue drop box, located in the school’s parking lot, you help fundraising money for Oakton School.
Just place your items in the blue drop box, located in the school’s parking lot (and call 773-394-8828 for a tax receipt). Clothes 4 Charity collects all these items which are then sold in bulk to thrift stores. Oakton will receive a portion of the amount donated.
- Clothing (men, women, and children)
- Hats, belts, purses
- Non-breakable small household items that will fit into a kitchen size trash bag (13 gallon).
For more information of what items Clothes 4 Charity accepts, please click here.
Food 4 Less Share program
Food 4 Less is a local retailer that offers such program, by which a portion of your total bill is donated back to our school. It’s easy to sign up, just ask for details in store.