Oakton’s diverse parent community has a long and proud tradition of outstanding volunteering and activism at our school.
The restoration of the beautiful Roosevelt-era mural in the auditorium; the ever-popular Story Store, where students can buy used and new books at a fraction of the cost, and the stunning student-designed mosaic at our front entrance are just some examples of parent-led initiatives at Oakton.
We’re thrilled you are joining us! Whether it’s volunteering at Story Store, helping out with one of our fundraisers, or spending time with our kids during recess or lunch, know that your talent and participation are always welcome! We can’t wait to see what you bring to our community. Get Involved!
The PTA has two types of meetings, both of which are open to all members of the Oakton community. Check the events calendar on this site and on the PTAs Facebook page for dates and specific locations.
- General Membershipmeetings are held at Oakton Elementary roughly every other month during the school year. Childcare and Spanish translation are provided at these meetings, and they often take place before or after other all-school events at Oakton.
- Executive Boardmeetings are held in months with no general meeting and are more focused on the PTAs routine administrative matters. These generally take place at the home of one of the PTA Executive Board members.
Important discussions, announcements, and decisions likely to be of interest to the broader Oakton community will take place at the General Membership meetings, while the Executive Board meetings are more focused on the PTAs routine administrative matters. All meetings and minutes are open to any interested member of the Oakton community.You do not have to be a PTA member in order to attend.
Watch the events schedule on this site and on Facebook for specific meeting dates and other announcements.
PTA Mission Statement
- Collaboration: We work in partnership with a wide array of individuals and organizations to accomplish our agreed-upon goals.
- Commitment: We are dedicated to promoting children’s health, well-being, and educational success through strong parent, family, and community involvement.
- Accountability: We acknowledge our obligations. We deliver on our promises.
- Respect: We value our colleagues and ourselves. We expect the same high quality of effort and thought from ourselves as we do from others.
- Inclusivity: We invite the stranger and welcome the newcomer. We value and seek input from as wide a spectrum of viewpoints and experiences as possible.
- Integrity: We act consistently with our beliefs. When we err, we acknowledge the mistake and seek to make amends.
PTA is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit association that prides itself on being a powerful voice for all children, a relevant resource for families and communities, and a strong advocate for public education. Membership in PTA is open to anyone who wants to be involved and make a difference for the education, health, and welfare of children and youth.